Owning a pet monkey involves many great challenges, but could also be boon companions for a lifetime. Caring for a monkey requires much time, money, patience and is one of the biggest commitments you will. If you are the special type of person that can accommodate a monkey begins to inform you about the type of primate that best go with you. Give him a strong cage equipped with many toys and be prepared to spend many hours playing with your pet to help you feel at ease. If you want to know more about what you must do to share your home with a pet monkey, go to step 1.
Part 1 of 3: Prepare to bring home a monkey
Research the species of monkeys. The monkeys belonging to the genus of primates and are divided into families of New World primates (the children who live in trees of South America) and Old World (the largest living land and the trees of Asia and Africa). Each type of monkey has unique characteristics that affect their behavior as pets. Before you decide which type to buy, learn much about their characteristics. Read books, talk to owners and try to know as many monkeys as you can.
- The squirrel, capuchin, spider monkeys and macaques monkeys are some examples that can be had as a pet. Some are more sociable, while others are more nervous. General care for these monkeys are almost the same, although larger need more space than smaller ones.
- The primates such as chimpanzees and orangutans should not be taken as pets. They are much stronger than humans and could be quite dangerous in domestic situations.
Get ready for a big commitment. Bring home a monkey is an equal commitment larger than deciding to have a child. The monkeys need attention all day, every day and, unlike cats and dogs can not stay home alone for long periods of time. When the monkey endears you will want to follow you everywhere and if you try to leave him alone, bored, become depressed and become aggressive. The monkeys live up to 20-40 years, so bring one home involve committing to spend much of your life meeting their needs. Before you decide to have a pet monkey, consider the following information life one:
- The monkey could become aggressive. When monkeys are babies, they are dependent and tender, like human babies. But when they reach sexual maturity, ie after 3 or 4 years, their behavior becomes unpredictable. It is said that monkeys are wild animals and, unlike cats and dogs, have not socialized to live with humans for thousands of years. All monkeys have been fond of a human as babies may bite or attack unpredictably owner or be very difficult to live with.
- You’ll have to say goodbye to your free time. Monkeys can not be left alone on their own. They need constant attention and care, but could end up hurting themselves or someone else. And tend to become attached only to a person, it will be difficult to find a nanny monkeys when you need to be alone.
- Your monkey could prevent you from having the relationship you want. These tend to become attached only to a few people. Having one could stop you have more closeness with those potential partners to the monkey react negatively.Monkeys do not get along well with children, so having one could stop you having your own family.
- Although, if you are one of those few who have the temperament and discipline to devote his life to ensure a monkey, then you could enjoy a wonderful experience. Monkeys are intelligent, fun and sometimes surprisingly affectionate. Many people who share their lives with monkeys accept the challenges and would not change their time with their loved pets for nothing.
Find out if it’s legal ownership of a monkey in your country. It is illegal to keep pet monkeys in many countries and most probably pass laws against this practice in the future. Therefore, when you have one, it will be difficult to move to another country or travel for many. In the US, it is illegal to enter the country with a monkey, that means that if you live in that country, not able to exit and reenter with him.
- Some countries allow ownership of monkeys as pets, but have strict regulations on specific conditions.
- The regulations have monkeys as pets vary by country. Find out about the laws in your jurisdiction to know if they impose any restrictions thereon.
Looking for a seller or a breeder excellent reputation. When you decide it’s time to have a monkey, see if a seller or a trusted reputable breeder in your area. If you live in the US, that person by law must have a license number issued by the Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- Ask the seller or breeder contact information for any of their customers. That way, you’ll corroborate the health and behavior of the monkeys. 
- You’ll pay more than $ 1,000 for a monkey of any species. A baby squirrel monkey could cost more than $ 8,000. The older are less expensive, but are much more difficult to manage at home.
- Before buying, check the monkey you would like to buy and make sure they have a natural link and can imagine living with him.
- Never buy a monkey in a foreign country. The shipment of monkeys is illegal in most countries.
Search exotic animal veterinarian near you. Before bringing the primate home, it is important that you establish a relationship with an exotic animal veterinarian.One regulate not have the expertise or equipment needed to care for one. Monkeys are likely to acquire some of the same diseases as humans and as often, so keep in mind that your pet will get sick from time to time. An exotic animal veterinarian will also be a good contact for you to ask questions about the needs and problems of animal behavior.
Part 2 of 3: Providing food and shelter
Build or buy a cage for monkeys. While your pet spend much time out of their cage, anyway need a place to stay at night and when you can not play. The monkey cage should be large enough, the more the better.  The monkeys need lots of space to run around, explore and play, especially if they are going to spend more than one or two caged hours.If the cage is too small, the animal will become agitated and potentially aggressive.
- Buy the cage, but many owners prefer to build it themselves so they can customize it to your personal space. The sticks of wood or steel fences chains are good materials for such cages. You may also want to have an outdoor cage plus the inside or want to build a cage attached to a heated outdoor shed that gives shelter.
- Be sure to comply with the regulations of your country regarding size, inputs and locks cages. In some cases, the regulations vary by type of monkey.
- The monkeys like to climb, so take care that the cage has enough height. Put branches, hanging ropes and other elements that allow you to climb inside.
Adapt your home to test monkeys. Most primates owners let their pets spend their time at home, not only in their cages. The monkeys are curious and intelligent creatures that go into everything what you can, so you need to take the time to remove objects that could damage or hurt.As you can climb, adapt the proof house monkeys will be a much more extensive than for babies suit test work.
- Do not let the monkeys have access to everything that has a rope. Make sure all electronics are out of reach.
- They tore the curtains, lamps throw down and chew the furniture. Get all the items that you would not want to destroy.
- You might want to designate one or two “rooms for Monkey” where you can play freely and have him banned from the rest of the house. Remember that these animals can open doors and windows, so if you plan to leave it unattended, you must make sure the room is as safe as the cage windows should have locks and bars.
Keep clean space monkey. The monkey kept clean their bodies, but they leave a mess everywhere you go. They are not easy to train and defecate anytime and anywhere. Some put them diapers to babies, but it will not be possible once mature. Rather, you should have thought mess clean up your pet at least once a day to keep the cage and your home in good sanitary conditions.
Dale clean bottles of water every day. The monkeys should always have access to fresh water they can drink clean bottles. For that purpose, you could use bottles.Some prefer to drink from a dish, other prefer both. However, you are responsible for giving water, so make sure you do not run out.
Dale cookies, fruits and vegetables for monkey. You must give cookies for mono (or trade food for apes) every day.These cookies contain the right combination of vitamins and minerals necessary for the needs of the animal.In addition to the special cookies, like fruits and vegetables or steamed chopped.
- You should also give grasshoppers, edible worms, cooked chicken (no spices), boiled eggs, yogurt, rice, grains and nuts.
- Do not feed it what humans consider “junk food”. You should never give awards sugar, ice cream, bakery, snacks, fast food and raw meat.
- Depending on the type of monkey that you have, perhaps you have to give vitamin supplements. The monkeys in captivity need an extra dose of vitamin D to counteract the lack of sun exposure.
- If it’s too difficult, hire catering equipment to feed the monkey.
Part 3 of 3: Socialize and train the monkey
Give the monkey many toys and stimulation. The monkeys need a variety of stimulation to be happy.In the wild, they spend most of their time climbing trees and looking for food.Simulates the experience monkey cage and around the home, give many interesting things to play and break.
- Try monkey hiding food in a box or container with small holes so you can stick their hand. The monkey will have fun trying to figure out how to get the food.
- Dale stuffed animals, balls and other toys that can pull and with whom to play.Varies toys frequently so you do not get bored.
Play with the monkey every day. These animals are social creatures and when they feel neglected for too long, they get very unhappy.Spend several hours playing with it every day.As you compenetrándote with him, he will begin to trust you and climb to hug your body and give you kisses.
- If you have more than one, you will not need to spend much time socializing.Many monkeys are happiest living with his kind. If you have the money to buy more than one, they will live happily in the same cage.
Never punish the monkey. I Hitting or yelling will have fear of you.Nor will it be for nothing if you want to control their behavior.Remember that the monkeys are wild and simply can not be trained to do exactly what you want to do.Occasionally, it will display behaviors that you will not appease, but hit only hurt the relationship between you.
- The best way to deal with any negative behavior is to make sure you do not miss what you need to content yourself: do you have enough of daily stimulation? Are there enough years ago? Do you play with it enough?
- The monkeys who are afraid or agitated could bite occasionally. We’ll say it again, you can not solve that problem punishing rather know more about their moods and learn to leave him alone when you feel like biting.
Do not let the monkey play with strangers. We do not recommend him to the public and invite anyone home to play with him.Monkeys are too unpredictable.If an accident happens, I could take them away.If yours too Spider someone, a representative of the animal control office has the right to confiscártelo and make an analysis of rabies.When exotic animals are confiscated, they are usually kills, since there is no law requiring quarantine periods for such animals (unlike pets like cats and dogs).
- If you have to leave town and leave the monkey on someone else’s home, make sure it’s someone you’ve been many times and trust. Leave a stranger could become stressed, which could lead to dangerous consequences.
Enjoy communicating with the monkey. Call him by name when you feed or give a toy to begin to learn it. When you answer, give an award and congratulate him. Teach orders showing you how you should behave, for example, if you say “dances”, starts jumping and dancing. When you learn a trick, give awards and praise him.